Thursday, February 08, 2007

Red Light Rooster!


Red Light Rooster! is my interactive family fun show. This show was inspired by a problematic gig I did a few years back. I was hired to perform at a family fun night and was given the library to do my show. Problem was, there was a carpet in the library and I couldn’t do the performance that I normally would do. So I decided on the spot that I would do some creative movement exercises with the kids. I didn’t expect the adults to get up and dance as well, but when they did, I saw immediately that there was magic in the room.

Kids are most fully themselves when they are blissfully engaged in the business of having a good time. As our minds are beginning to develop, the first real experiences we have of fun as kids is physical. Running, jumping, balancing, kids are feeling their fun in their bodies.

Adults are also most fully themselves at play, but because the demands on our lives as adults, playtime gets put on the back burner behind making money and meeting responsibilities. When adults do engage in fun, it most often doesn’t look like the same fun they had when they were kids.

Kids know that one day they will become adults as well and they are learning what being an adult means from watching their parents. For children to witness adults having fun in the same ways that children understand fun is powerful. Not adult fun, but physical romping around fun that kids understand and feel. This was the magic I experienced at that problematic performance. I was watching kids watching adults having fun that they could feel.

By observing adults having fun, kids can know that happens throughout our lives. As they get older, their ideas of fun may change, but at least, they can look forward to growing up because they will know that there is definitely something fun about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home